What happens to my HSA after my death?

If you have a beneficiary on your HSA, your beneficiary will be able to submit an HSA Death Distribution Form and request the HSA be sent to the estate, or converted to an HSA in the surviving spouse’s name. If no beneficiary is listed on your HSA, the state of Indiana requires the HSA distribution to be made to the estate of the deceased. Extra documentation may be requested to process a death distribution to an estate.